- The purpose of a hearing aid is to make sounds more audible for people with hearing loss.
- Hearing aids are not the cheapest devices to own but ultimately, they are an investment in yourself that should last for years.
- Places like Lively, Eargo, and Costco offer plenty of affordable options you can consider.
- The only way to find out if hearing aids are right for you is by speaking with a specialist.
Hearing aids are savvy devices that can benefit many people with hearing loss. According to the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders, about 28.8 million U.S. adults could benefit from using hearing aids. Despite how helpful this device is, fewer than 30 percent of adults aged 70 and older have ever used them. Search online to learn more about whether a hearing aid is right for you.
If you’re experiencing hearing loss, there are a variety of hearing aids available. You can compare what each device has to offer with an online search.
Here’s some information on hearing aids and a few affordable options to consider.
How Do Hearing Aids Work?
The purpose of a hearing aid is to make sounds more audible for people with hearing loss. According to Hopkins Medicine, they do this by amplifying sound through the following three-part system:
- The microphone receives sound and converts it into a digital signal;
- The amplifier increases the strength of the digital signal, and;
- The speaker produces the amplified sound into the ear.
The Mayo Clinic says most hearing aids are digital and powered with a traditional battery or rechargeable battery.