- Set realistic expectations and plan ahead to make vacations less stressful before they start.
- Involve children in some of the decision-making, and keep them advised of the schedule.
- Plan activities and stress relievers for long car trips and plane rides.
- Bring along family and utilize hotel caregivers and kids’ programs to get more “me time.”
- Take advantage of naps and early bedtimes.
Vacations are meant to be a time to relax and unwind, but if you’re a parent, that trip you’ve been planning and looking forward to can quickly turn into multiple days of tension and stress. But that doesn’t mean that traveling with kids has to be so difficult.
As long as parents are prepared, vacationing with kids can be somewhat relaxing! We’ve come up with 12 easy tips to help parents let their guard down, kick back and relax while vacationing with kids….
Don’t Imagine an Instagram-Worthy Getaway
Stress sometimes comes from setting unrealistic expectations. Instagram influencers are part of the problem. When you scroll through your feed, you see so many photos of beautiful families all enjoying gorgeous landscapes and memorable activities, and it’s easy to imagine yourself having the same experiences and sharing the same memories. Just remember that what you see on Instagram isn’t the full story.
Photos and short video clips capture a single moment in time. You have no idea how much work it took to stage what you’re viewing. Before you even begin to plan, tell yourself the purpose of your vacation is to get away together, and accept that things will go wrong. If you don’t expect perfection, you’re less likely to get stressed.