10 Moves to Firm That Fanny!!!
The gluteus maximus, or the “glutes” as they are sometimes known, refer to your fanny, your buttocks, your behind, or your delicious derriere. Whatever you choose to call yours, the butt is actually made up of one of the largest and strongest muscles in your entire body. That’s why if you plan to hit the beach with a perkier posterior this summer; you need to give your glutes a regular workout with some truly targeted moves.
Here are ten exercises that will help you firm up that fanny…
1. Take the stairs
This one is a no-brainer. If you want a taunt tush; you need to get off of yours and start taking the stairs. Taking the stairs daily—instead of relying on the elevator or escalator at work, at your apartment building, or at the mall—will not only help tone the muscles in your bottom; it will help shape the calves and thighs as well.
Lunges are a great way to target the buttocks and the quadriceps (that large muscle in the front of your upper leg. Plus, you don’t need a ton of space to do alternating lunges. You can even do them during television commercials in your living room, like this.
1. Stand facing forward with feet hip distance apart
2. Lunge the right leg forward, bending the knee directly over the ankle, while lowering the left knee until it nearly touches the floor.
3. Do 10 repetitions on each side.
3. Stability Ball Pelvic Lifts
This exercise is a bum blaster because it really focuses on squeezing the glutes as well as the pelvic floor muscles.
1. Lie flat on your back
2. Bend your knees and extend your legs onto a stability ball, arms by your sides.
2. Use your glute muscles to lift your butt off the ground, pushing your pelvis toward the ceiling, and staying stable on the ball.
3. Hold the pose for 5 seconds then lower your butt back down to the floor.
4. Repeat 10 times.
No exercise tones the butt as well as squats—that’s why so many people loathe them.
1. Stand with your feet a little more than hip distance apart with your feet pointing forward and hands on your hips.
2. Keeping your back straight and pelvis tucked bend at the knees as if you were sitting down on an imaginary chair behind you.
3. Your thighs should be 90-degrees with the floor, with your knees directly over your ankles.
4. Push back up to standing through your heels.
5. Repeat 10-15 times.
5. Donkey Kickbacks
This move mimics a horse or donkey kick and really targets the hamstrings (the large elastic muscle in the backs of your legs) and your glutes.
1. Start in table top position (on all fours with your hands under your shoulders and your knees under your hips).
2. With a straight back, lift and bend your right leg pushing your foot up towards the ceiling.
3. Alternate right and left kicks—you should feel this in the backs of your legs and glutes.
4. Repeat 10-15 times on each side.
6. Straight Legged Deadlifts
Another great move that targets the back of your lower body (your glutes and hamstrings), straight legged deadlifts are an effective butt shaping exercise.
1. Stand with feet hip distance apart, loose knees, holding a pair of 3- to 10-pound dumbbells (start light at first and work your way up), with an overhand grip, arms straight down at your thighs.
2. Bend at your hips (not your knees), lowering your torso until it’s parallel to the floor.
3. Pause when you feel the burn in the backs of your legs and then raise your torso back to standing.
4. Do 10 repetitions.
7. Step Ups
Step-ups performed laterally (or from the side) work your glutes and hip flexor muscles.
1. Stand about a foot away from a sturdy step stool.
2. With your hands at your sides, shift your weight to the side as your left foot lands in the middle of the stool.
3. Shift the weight to the left foot, raising the right off the ground.
4. Step back to the right.
5. Repeat 10-15 times on each foot.
8. Hip Lifts (or Bridge Pose)
A very focused butt toning exercise, hip lifts (or bridge pose for the yogis) relieves tension in the lower back.
1. Lie flat on your back with your knees bent and hip distance apart.
2. Arms should rest straight at your sides, palms facing down.
3. Inhale and push your the hips up toward the ceiling squeezing the glute muscles.
4. Remember to keep your shoulders and lower back flat on the ground.
5. Hold this position for 5-seconds and then lower the hips gently back to the floor.
6. Repeat 5-10 times.
9. Crab Squats
This move does kind of look funny, but it’s very effective.
1. Stand straight, facing forward, with your feet slightly wider than hip distance and turned out.
2. Bend your knees and lower yourself into a wide squat with your knees directly over your ankles.
3. Shift your feet to the right, like a crab, alternating right and left steps about 5 for each side.
4. Now step to the left side, alternating left and right steps about 5 for each side to return to center.
Supermans are the super heroes of butt-firming as well as upper and lower back toning exercises!
1. Lie flat on the floor, facing down with your arms extended straight out in front of you, palms facing one other, and legs straight out behind you.
2. Inhale, slowly raise your left leg a couple inches off the floor while raising your right arm a few inches from the floor, you’ll feel the abdominal muscles and glute muscles engage.
3. Hold the position for five seconds then alternate right leg and left arm.
4. If you’re feeling really super strong lift both arms and legs at the same time.
5. Do 10 repetitions for each side.
Looking for other fun ways to lose weight? Check out these articles:
- 10 Fabulous Fitness Moves You Can Do At Home!
- 10 Foods Proven to Burn Fat!
- 10 Fun and Unique Ways to Blast Belly Fat