Spring is traditionally considered a season of rebirth and transformation.
However, even though our minds are eager for the warm weather ahead, our bodies are oftentimes still weighed down by the sluggishness of winter. Luckily, these eight detoxifying yoga poses can cleanse the body—by stimulating the lymphatic, circulatory, and digestive systems—to help rid the body of the toxins and waste that accumulated over the long winter…
1. Seated Spinal Twist
Have a troublesome tummy, well twisting poses, such as Marichyasana 3 (or one-legged seated spinal twist) can help! Think of twisting poses as natural digestive aids—helping to soothe painful gas and bloating while stimulating waste elimination. To get twisty with it:
- Sit facing forward on your mat with both legs extended straight out in front.
- Bend your right knee, and place your foot (sole flat) over your left knee
- You can choose to bend your left knee (keep it on the floor) and place your foot as close to your right sits bone as possible.
- Now twist your body, placing your right hand (palm down) on the floor behind your buttocks
- You can deepen the twist by pressing your left elbow against the outside of your right knee as you continue to twist more deeply with every inhale and lengthening the spine with every exhale.